Cut up

 

 

A few photos I took when experimenting with chopping up portraits for the Folio society project. I found rhombus or diamond shapes the most interesting when I started to pull them apart. The image of the face was transferred onto light weight paper by frottage / screenwash transfer before I stuck it down and began to cut it up, and the whole thing had to be lightly glued down too or a breeze from an open door would have left the whole thing on the floor. The more successful ones were where I pulled it apart quickly and randomly. To much consideration left them looking contrived. An explosion can’t be contrived. A very fiddly experiment but it led to the final cover of the book.

2 Comments