Jims garage

This is my dad’s garage, or his scaled down ‘retirement’ version. From Cork in Ireland he sailed the seven seas with the Merchant Navy as a radio operator in the late 50′s and 60′s, then settled in London as a self taught mechanic. He’s still taking things apart and welding them back together at 73. I never realise how similar our working spaces were until I took these pictures. I guess that’s where I got it from. Making and fixing things – tinkering around a workshop. On not throwing things out, he says ‘It’ll come in handy if you never use it’.

6 Comments

1. scott garrett commented on 21 November 2011 at 8:26 pm

That’s cracking!.. great to have a ‘workshop’ nosey.

2. martin commented on 1 December 2011 at 11:11 am

There should be a book on workshops. Of all trades. Itd be nice that.

3. Gareth Wellburn commented on 21 February 2012 at 6:05 am

Love these pics, remember the days I spent down there. Actually looks incredibly well organised. Give the old boy my regards

4. garage doors perth commented on 24 February 2012 at 1:31 am

The look and feel of this classic looking workshop makes me feel reminiscent of how real mechanics used to do their magic back in the day.

5. martin commented on 14 March 2012 at 11:58 am

Cool mate. He still tinkering down there, but probably wouldnt overhaul your gearbox anymore, unless he didnt let us know. : ^ )

6. martin commented on 14 March 2012 at 11:58 am

Will do man. He asks bout you.